jueves, 17 de mayo de 2018

GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES

17 de mayo de 2018
* CORRECTION HOMEWORK
- Extrafotocopias. Pag. 34. 10A Grammar relative clauses
a) I have to say that my favourite place in the world is the village where I was born. I've travelled all
    over the world but it's still the place which I love the most. A song ... that's an easy one! It's Lady
    in Red y Chris de Burgh, for two reasons. Firstly, it was the colour of the dress which I was
   wearing the night I met my husband. Secondly, it was the song which the Dj played as we danced.
   The number which I've chosen is the number nine. My grandmother, who used to live with us when
   I was a child, always asked me to get her a lottery ticket with this number. I think that's why I like it
   so much. For a photo, I've chosen a black and white photo of my parents which I've had for about
   20 years. Every time I look at it, I can see two happy people in their early twenties whose lives
   were about to change forever. Why? Well because my mum was pregnant with me in the photo!.
   My English teacher at school was the woman who inspired me to love languages. So, I've chosen
   her to be my favourite person. Animal? No question about it! The animals which I like most are
   dogs.The shop where I could spend all day would be one selling perfumes and cosmetics. Finally,
   an object which is very special to me is my engagement ring, because it used to belong to my
   husband's grandmother. It's beautiful.

b) En todas, excepto en whose lives were about (1)

c) en la 2,3,4,5,7,9,10,12

d) 1- Our neighbours, who are both teachers, work at the same school/
    2- Pablo Picasso, whose best-known painting is Gernika, was born in Malaga in 1881/
    3- Canberra, which is the capital of Australia, is smaller than Sydney and Melbourne/
    4- Our local post office, where I used to work, has closed down/
    5- Lionel Messi, who was born in Rosario in Argentina, is possibly the most talented footballer of
        his generation/
   6- The hurricane, which was the worst for over 75 years, caused millions of dollar worth of damage

- Fotocopia 10/5/18. Exercises
7- a) What's the name of the hotel where we stayed?/
    b) What's the name of the restaurant where we had dinner?/
    c) Have you ever been to the village where they live?/
    d) The factory where John works is the biggest in town

8) a) We chose the hotel which seemed to be the nicest/
    b) She spoke to the man who was standing next to her/
    c) I read the letters which came in the morning post
    d) He likes the other people who work in his office/
    e) She's that singer who was on television last night/
    f) Next week there is a festival which happens in the village every summer/
    g) I paid the bills which came yesterday

9) The programme which I mentioned a couple of days ago. It's a new series which started last night.
     Yes. It was about a group of friends who were at school together
     He was an old student of the school who had  become a doctor
     He went to a party which his old teachers organised
     He met a lot of people who had been at school with him many years before
     They talked about the things which they did when they were at school
     Rupert saw an old girl-friend who was dancing with John

10) a) She chose the books that she wanted to buy/
      b) We ate the sandwiches that-whichJack made them/
      c) I'm doing some work which-that I have to finish it today/
      d) She's an old woman who-whom- that I often see when I go to the shop/
      e) He's an actor who-whom a lot of people like
      f) It's a magazine which-that I sometimes read/
      g) She was wearing a red dress that-which she wears for parties

11) a) The person who phoned didn't leave a message/
      b) The bus which goes to the airport leaves every 20 minutes/
      c) The picture which was hanging near the door was horrible

* FOTOCOPIA 17/5/18.
- Speaking.

* STUDENT'S BOOK. Pag. 147. 8B Gerunds and infinitives
+ gerund (verb + ing) Utilizamos el gerundio (verbo + ing) :
- Después de preposiciones y frases verbales
   Ej: I'm not very good at remembering names / Katie's given up smoking
- Como sujeto de una frase
  Ej: Driving at night is quite tiring/ Shopping is my favourite thing to do at weekends
- Después de algunos verbos: hate, spend, don't mind
  Ej: I hate not being on time for things / I don't mind getting up early

+ The infinitive with to. Utilizamos el infinitivo + to:
- Después de adjetivos. Ej: My flat is very easy to find
- Para expresar una razón o finalidad. Ej: Liam is saving money to buy a new car
- Después de algunos verbos: want, need, lear, like. Ej: My sister has never learned to drive

- Verbos los cuales utilizan el infinitivo: 
   (can't) afford, agree, decide, expect, forget, help, learn, need, offer, plan, pretend, promise, 
   refuse, remember, seem, try, want, would like

- La forma negativa de infinito + to = NOT TO + VERB

- Son más lo verbos en la forma de infinitivo que los que utilizan una forma de  gerundio

- Estos verbos pueden tener la forma del gerundio ó de infinitivo sin variar su significado
    start, begin, continue.  Ej: It started to rain = It started raining

+ Verbo + persona + infinitivo + to
   Utilizamos además el INFINITIVO + TO después de algunos verbos 
              ask, tell, want, would like + person. 
 Ej: Can you ask the manager to come?/ She told him not to worry/ I want you to do this now/
       We would really like you to come

+ The infinitive without to. Utilizamos el infinitivo sin TO
- Después de la mayoria de los verbos modales y de los verbos auxiliares.Should, can, could, etc.
   Ej: I can't drive / We must hurry
- Después del los verbos MAKE y LET
   Ej: She always makes me laugh   /    My parents didn't let me go out last night
+ Verbos que pueden tomar forma de gerundio o de infinitivo, pero tienen un significado
   diferente
    - Try to be on time = hacer un esfuerzo por estar puntual
       Try doing yoga = lo haré si ello me gusta   
       I remember meeting him years ago = yo tengo un recuerdo de haberme reunido

+ EXERCISES
a) 1- It's important for me to spend time with my family/ 2- Applying for a job can be complicated/
    3- The manager asked me not to say anything about the redundancies/
    4- My boss wants me to start work earlier/ 5- Be careful not to ask her about her boyfriend/
    6- We carried on working until we finished/ 7- Dave is very good at solving logic problems/
    8- The best thing about weekends is not going to work/
    9- Layla gave up modelling when he had a baby/
  10- I went on a training course to learn about the new software

b) 1- My parents are planning to retire before they are 65/
    2- Rob spends three hours commuting to work/
    3- Mark's wife told him not to worry about the problems he had at work/
    4- Did you remember to lock the door?/
    5- In the end, I decided not to buy the shoes because they were very expensive/
    6- The manager let us leave early on Fridays/
    7- All employees must wear a jacket and tie at work/
    8- Please try not make any more mistakes in the report/
    9- I don't mind doing overtime during the week

* EXTRAPHOTOCOPIES. Pag. 31
1- Emily's parents aren't strict enough with her, They let her do whatever she likes/
2- Would you mind calling me back in about five minutes?/
3- My boos told me she wanted to speak to me in her office/
7- We decided no to buy her a birthday present because we weren't sure that she wanted/
5- Have you ever thought of going back to live in Edinburgh or are you happy in London?/
6- My neighbour offered to look after my children while I went to do some shopping/
7- Have you finished using the computer yet? /
8- Waiting for people who are late makes me really angry/
9- My parents would like me to consider medicine as a career/
10- I think Ben should study architecture. He's very good at drawing/
11- Do you think you'd like to work with children or would you find it too stressful?/
10- If they can save enough money, they're hoping to go to Miami for their honeymoon/
13- Have you ever thought about doing yoga or Pilates?/
14- I was really surprised to hear that he'd failed the exam/
15- Are you going to go on studying English here next year?/
16- I want you to think very seriously about what you're going to do after you leave university?/
17- I don't really feel like cooking tonight/ 18- Don't pretend to like the present if you don't/
19- Eating late at night always makes me feel a bit uncomfortable/
20- Angela asked her brother to give her a lift into town

* STUDENT'S BOOK. Pag. 79. 3 Grammar gerunds and infinitives
a) 1- I'd like to work as part of a team/ 2- I enjoy helping people with their problems/
    3- I don't mind not earning a very large salary/ 4- I'm good at listening to people/
    5- I'm good at making quick decisions/ 6- Taking risks doesn't worry me/
    7- I'm happy to work by myself/ 8- I'm not afraid of managing large amounts of money/
    9- I'm good at expressing my self/ 10- I always try to follow my instincts/
   11- It's important for me to be creative/ 12- I enjoy improvising/
   13- Doing complex calculations is not difficult for me/ 14- I enjoy solving logical problems/
   15- I find it easy to understand theoretical principles/ 16- I'm able to calculate space and distance

d) 1- After enjoy, don't min use gerund/ 2- After would like infinitivo + to /
    3- After adjetives infinitivo + to/ 4- After prepositions gerund/
    5- As the subject of a phrase or sentence use gerund

f) 1- I always hate doing the bed/ 2- I love taking photographs/ 3- I wouldn't like to go on holiday with my brother/ 4- I love listening to music Sunday morning/ 5- I like to visit Ireland next summer

* VOCABULARY
fresh air= aire libre/ improve= mejorar/ make= hacer/ let= permitir/ remind= hacer recordar/ charge of = al cargo de / apply= solicitar/  give somebody a lift= llevar a alguien en coche/ redundances= despido por no necesitar para realizar un trabajo/ hoovering= pasar la aspiradora

* HOMEWORK
- Student's book: Pag. 89. 3 Reading & Speaking











1 comentario:

  1. Brilliant!! This is something I have been considering for a year now. I like it, thank you for showing your model and mindset. Great content on concept of Gerunds as usual . Looking forward for your inspiring work. Thanks for sharing this valuable information!

    ResponderEliminar